HOME

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ants on a Log



I am on a mission.

A mission to teach my children that crackers, chips, cookies, etc aren't the only kinds of snacks that exist.

While I admit I eat TERRIBLY I hope to teach my kids better. MOST of you agree the schools aren't exactly a good source for nutrition education. Even Daycare. As a teacher it certainly makes my like easier having processed crackers and cookie type snacks in the class every afternoon. As a mother it leaves me wincing as the kids eat the sugar and sodium filled "tasty" processed snacks. The kids love it, however and its far more "cost effective" in a group childcare setting.

Here at home we like our yogurts, cheeses, apples, crackers etc etc.... We are slowly working with Lauryn to develop a taste for the "good stuff" she recently discovered she like apples. But those veggies are still tricky.

THAT'S THE KEY TRICKY.

Lets make the good stuff fun :o) And that's what we did today! And Lauryn successfully ate Fresh Celery without having it spit straight out onto the table :o)
(note: we washed the celery first but chose to cut it at the end in order to make it easier for little fingers.)


















2 comments:

  1. Looks like they had a lot of fun! Julianna is anti-veggie right now...maybe we'll need to make some ants on a log too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun, healthy snack and the kids getting along...what more could a mother want!!! I tried raisins with the kids a couple days ago and they were not impressed (but neither am I!)....guess ants on a log will have to wait!!

    ReplyDelete